It is not fun to maintain records, but it can save you from a lot of pain in the longer run, like audits from the IRS. If the dreadful due dates are round the corner and audits are unavoidable, you need to ask yourself one thing. Am I doing this right? Are you maintaining the right records for HVUT? Well, if you were not following the pattern, it is never too late. We can tell you how.
HVUT Record-keeping Requirements:
- The VIN and info about all taxable highway vehicles registered in your name.
- The date you purchased your vehicle, the full name and address of the dealer from whom you purchased.
- The weight of the loads carried by the vehicle, described in accordance with record-keeping requirements in your state
- Record the first month of each period in, which the taxable use of the vehicle occurred. Along with this, keep records proving that the vehicle was not being used in a taxable manner prior to that date (if you owned it during that time).
- For “Category W” Suspended Vehicles (vehicles that travel fewer than 5,000 miles on public highways during the tax year or 7,500 for agricultural vehicles), ensure highway mileage is recorded.
- For agricultural vehicles, keep a record of the number of miles driven on the farm.
- During the time of selling or disposing the vehicle, you must provide details that include the name and address of the person who purchases it, if applicable.
- Keep the above records for at least 3 years after the date the tax is due or paid, whichever is later.
- Keep copies of all returns and schedules you’ve filed.
- The records should be available for the review by IRS
And here’s a great news for Tax2290.com users. You can retrieve the information including the schedule 1 copy from your dashboard. You can view, download, or print them if necessary.
Additionally, your vehicle info is kept safe in your registered account. From VIN #’s, to unit numbers, license plate numbers, DOT #’s, & gross vehicle weights–you’ve got an archive to reference if needed. And you are allowed to view it anytime, anywhere as long as you have strong affiliation with the internet connection.
Tax2290.com, the application owned by ThinkTrade Inc, is designed in a manner that is claimed for the user-friendliness and affordable service. If you are satisfied, you can pay the fee or you can claim it free.
If you’ve got questions about proper record keeping and filing form 2290 with ease, reach our tax experts @ 1-866-245-3918 or email us on email@example.com.