IRS latest update on Form 2290

IRS Alert: This is where you should check for new information about the Heavy Highway Vehicle Use tax, Form 2290, for the tax period beginning July 1, 2011. We will add all updates from IRS about the availability of Form 2290 and e-file here as well. You can also report your previous year Form 2290 through

Updated as of July 18, 2011

The law that governs the annual tax imposed on the use of heavy highway vehicles (Form 2290) expires at the close of September 30, 2011. IRS have not published Form 2290 for the taxable period beginning July 1, 2011 and the form is not available at this time. As soon as we know when the form will be available, we will provide that information on this page. In the meantime, you can still efile and pay your 2010 excise tax, get your 2011 tags and register your new or used vehicle.

Paying Your 2010 Excise Tax

IRS e-file is not currently not accepting 2290 returns for the tax period beginning July 1, 2011, but you can still e-file your 2290 tax return for the tax period July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011. Choose or the IRS authorized e-file provider that’s best for you.

Getting Your Tags and/or Registering Your Vehicle

You can get your tags for the tax period beginning July 1, 2011. Existing regulations require states to register a heavy highway vehicle when the application for registration is received between July 1 and November 30, 2011. If you have your receipted Schedule 1 for the previous year’s taxable period, in this case, July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011, states can accept it as proof of payment.

Registering Your Newly Acquired Vehicle
States must register newly acquired heavy highway use vehicles without proof of tax payment if:

  • you present the original or a photocopy of a bill of sale showing that the vehicle was purchased by the owner during the 150 days before the date the state received the application for registration; and,
  • the vehicle has not been registered in any state subsequent to the data of purchase.

Getting a Copy of Your Schedule 1

If you no longer have your Schedule 1 for the taxable period July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011, you can call our Help Center at 1-866-245-3918 or IRS Excise Tax division at 1-866-699-4096 to get a copy. From Canada or Mexico, call +1 623-399-4816/ 17 (not toll-free). Write to us at for more information.

This entry was posted in IRS Updates and Tax Tips and tagged , , , , on by .

About admin

An e-tax professional at, a product of Think Trade Inc., A BBB accredited, IRS authorized E-file service provider for all kinds of Excise taxes like Form 2290, Form 720, Form 8849 etc, my articles will reflect friendly ideologies of my company just like how friendly our e-file tax application is to them. For any queries, reach us @ 866-245-3918 or email us on or